In our office, we use Filezilla as the FTP client of our choice. We often share our “Site Settings” with each other – since we all manage the same sites – so we don’t have to ask “Can I get an FTP account for X? What’s the password for Y?” It might not be the best way of working, but it works for us.
During our latest ‘exchange’, however, my colleague pointed out that there were duplicates in her overview. Deleting all sites and doing a new import of the Site Manager only made things worse. And worse.
Fortunately, there’s a solution for this problem, and of course we are sharing it with you. The trick is in deleting sitemanager.xml before importing the sites.
For Windows Users
- Go to Start, and type %appdata% in the search box at the bottom. Click the “Roaming” folder that appears
- If you’re still using XP Go to Start > Run and enter the same.
- Open the Filezilla folder and delete the file sitemanager.xml
For Mac Users
If you are using a Mac, you can delete the file in the terminal.
- Open your Terminal
- Enter the following: cd $HOME/.filezilla
- Enter the following: rm sitemanager.xml
Now that that’s done, you can start Filezilla again and import the Sitemanager configuration. No more duplicates, rejoice!
If you are using an
ancient old version of Exchange and OWA, e.g the versions that shipped with SBS 2003, in combination with Microsofts’ latest and “greatest” browser, Internet Explorer 10, you might get the impression that OWA is broken, like a client of mine reported today.
As you can see in the image below, OWA indeed seems to be broken. (Click for full image)
Mysterious texts appear on top, but the real problem is your mails won’t show up. Nor can you click any of the links. But, this isn’t a problem with OWA (an sich).
(Neither is the problem the certificate, as someone suggested. While it’s cheap not to buy one, OWA can still function without one😉 )
The culprit is Internet Explorer 10, but the fix is simple. Click the “Compability” button in your address bar, and voila: your e-mails will now show up like they “used to”.
EDIT: It’s possible that you see an error page instead. In that case, visit OWA again and it’ll work just fine.
Of course, you can also switch browsers. This’ll mean you won’t get the “full” experience, which could be considered a downside. On the upside, you’ll no longer be using Internet Explorer. Kidding, kidding.
For your convenience,
Backstory: Today, I was ready to deploy a Prestashop store. But before I put it online, I decided to test something locally. (Something, being: check if our cool AkeebaBackup solution for backing up Prestashop worked).
I almost wish I hadn’t, since I’ve lost almost half an hour trying to figure out why Prestashop kept moaning about redirect errors, Redirect loops and other things about redirecting.
The domain name turned out to be the problem. Since I’m used to Joomla! I’m familiar with a straight forward approach: you enter the full path, and you’re done.
But for Prestashop, you’ve got to change your logic a bit when working on your localhost (be it Wamp, Xamp, LAMP or MAMP). The guide below explains how to setup your domain when you’ve moved your site to your localhost
I am going to make two assumptions: You’ve managed to unpack Prestashop, your database is up and running and you can access the backend locally. If that’s the case, do the following:
1. Login to the back-end of your site
2. Go to Preferences > SEO & URLS
3. Go to the Set Shop URL Section of the screen.
4. Configure the fields in this section like this:
- Shop Domain: http://localhost:<Ports>
- Replace <Ports> by the port Apache is listening to on your localhost. If you’re using Port 80 just write http://localhost
- Base URL: the path to your Prestashop installation, relative to your root folder. If, for example, the store is located in a “MyPrestaShop” folder under your root, enter /MyPrestaShop here.
Once you have configured both the fields, click “Save. This should help you get rid of that nasty “Redirect” error!
Last week, I was working on a client website when my eye fell on something. Some articles had a heading which said “Articles”. If this happens to you, don’t bother looking for the solution inside Joomla. There’s still a simple fix for this problem, though. Actually there is more than one way to fix it, I will just explain the solution that worked for me.
Using Language Overrides
If you do some research, you’ll discover that this “Articles” header only appears for articles which aren’t linked to a menu item. To remove this header, we’re going to use a built-in Joomla! option: the Language Overrides. Here’s how it’s done.
1. Go to your Joomla! back-end and log in.
2. Navigate to “Extensions > Language Manager”
3. Click the “Overrides” tab.
4. Click “New”. A new screen opens.
5. In this new screen, write the following in the “Language Constant” field: JGLOBAL_ARTICLES
6. Leave the text field empty, and save the override.
As a result, the “Articles” will be stripped everywhere in your website, which solves your problem with the unwanted text!